The Christian Counseling Service was founded in 1982. It is the private practice of the Rev. Carol Denton Ayres, an ordained pastor and pastoral counselor.
About Rev. Ayres:
- I am wonderfully saved by the grace of God, and He has blessed me to have a rich educational background in the areas of theology, ministry, chaplaincy, psychology, psychotherapy, philosophy, and pastoral care.
- I hold a B.A. degree from Agnes Scott College, magna cum laude, with a major in philosophy and a double minor in Bible and psychology.
- I hold a Masters of Divinity degree from Duke Divinity School with a specialization in pastoral counseling.
- I did significant post-graduate work at Southeast Institute in Chapel Hill, under the supervision of Dr. Vann Joines, M. Div., PhD, in the area of psychotherapy.
- I am certified as a counselor by the PTL Network, and I am a certified Trainer in the Evangelism Explosion Program.
- I did Clinical Pastoral Education (chaplaincy training) at WakeMed under the supervision of the Rev. Dr. John Costello, of Raleigh, NC.
- I was co-founder of the Durham Ministers Association,where I served as Secretary, Vice President, and two terms as President.
- I served as Associate Pastor of a local United Methodist Church during Divinity School.
- I have served as Assistant Pastor and Minister in a local non-denominational congregation since 1998. In my counseling, I bring Scripture and godly wisdom to bear upon the issues with which the client is struggling, under the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
- At the client's request, we may pray together.
- My counseling is non-denominational. I meet the client wherever he or she is, and build upon the faith experiences the person brings, to enable the client to find God's meaning and leading in his or her life.
- I do a great deal of marriage and family counseling as well as individual counseling.
- I have 31 years of experience as counselor and psychotherapist in private practice, and have also counseled as a part of church staff in several parishes.
- My private office space, on a lower level office area of Northgate Mall below the stores and walkways, offers comfort, confidentiality and anonymity.
- I am available for seminars and speaking engagements.